Every 1 second, an older adult falls. Every 20 minutes, an older adult dies from a fall in the US. This does not include all those who are injured. According to the CDC, 1 in 4 older adults report falling each year.
It is Easy to Prevent Falls:
- Make sure paths are well lit, consider using night lights
- Make sure paths are clear in commonly walked areas
- Avoid floor rugs
- Wear good shoes
- Use a cane or walker
- Install grab bars in bathrooms next to the toilet and tub
- Move cords against the walls and secure them there
- Clean spills immediately
- Throw away old boxes and trash
- See your podiatrist regularly
- If you fall, discuss your fall with your providers: eye doctor and primary care
- Consider an exercise program to strengthen your legs
Nobody wants to lose their independence. Having a fall can result in a hip fracture, time spent in rehab away from home, and losing mobility and freedom. Keep your independence and look at your home environment to correct potential hazards immediately.
Your podiatrist is an expert in gait analysis and understands biomechanics. This is the way your foot, leg and body interact with the ground and environment around it. A thorough exam by one of our Board Certified specialists can identify problems before they become bigger.
Call Today (602) 938-8400 Onyourfeetaz.com